Tuesday 8 November 2011

I am a great fan of physics… Math to me is cold and without stories, but physics… Physics can be hot, it can be cunning, it can be challenged and people love to do that every day. There is dancing and color seeping through almost every crack.  Physics is where you just got to get the simple numbers right and the universe will do the rest.
         Not unlike to a somewhat confused Dr. Jung, numbers to me don’t make much sense. They exist, they interact when forced to, they are an excellent way of communicating between ambitions, but to me they serve no purpose. Standalone, they are like solitude atoms in a void, solitude bones in a depot, like Lego parts long lost and washed ashore on some cold beach. Only when applied to real life – which is within physics – do they come alive. To me that is excellent, it is grand. There have been times when I would stare ages on end at a demonstration of a physical law. Fractal science notwithstanding, I never stared at a mathematical formula by anything other than impotent frustration over a high-school test.
         Having long disproved ecological side of the Heisenberg Principle of Uncertainty, and figured it out how to measure the addition of buoyant mass within a bowl of water on a structure, I am now, still, curious to learn the practical differences between candela, lux and lumen. In my school fantasies, the teacher I hit on is always a physics professor. Ironically I barely ever had a decent one – I think only for one year among all my high schools (oddly prone to humanities instead) that I even had physics. I even considered going to university to study it, but math got in my way. During that year in my first high school, I had D minuses in math, if I studied really hard, and I had – and I was the only one in the entire class who did – had As in physics. Even now these practical sciences, avoiding greatly the drama of biology, chemistry and geopolitics, keep my brain happy when I am bored. I can be the atom who says to God: “Lemme try being an atom during a gas giant supernova. I’ve done the homework: I know what to do :D …”

0 comments: