Saturday 17 February 2018

Tarps and tents and shelters oh my...

So, working on any project that demands quite a lot of cheer, planning on buying something truly magnificent for the fee is half the victory. Since I bought, tested and found perfectly satisfactory a single studio light (and the General bought me a few more, simple construction lights for 1% of the price, just as effective is someone holds them for me and moves as I ask them...), next thing at the very top of my list is an ultralight hiking tent. 

And here's the funny bit.
I've been looking through top10 lists and recommendations for months now. In fact, from the moment I saw the Gossamer Gear The One, I was hooked. And here is what I noticed.

See, this is a so called 'tarp'.

This is a 'shelter'.

And this is a fully fledged tent. 
.. Or, you know, this ...

 .. but let's stay realistic... This looks like, if someone is going to try and rob a tent, this would be the first one they go to ...

The curious bit is, though I love the idea of a tarp the most, I am simply, for some odd reason, too afraid to dive straight into tarp travel. Silly, isn't it? The thought of sleeping entirely outdoors makes me uncomfy. I didn't used to feel that way, I just grew into it. I want, if we're setting one up at all, a proper man cave. I wonder if that makes sense. Is it the snakes or the bugs or what? Could be mosquitoes and stuff like that. Or the feeling I'll be warmer in a tent or safer in a tent in a rainstorm. I just don't know. I only know that Gossamer The One, for some intuitive reason, though it isn't making any top10 lists, remains at the top and I am simply looking for a better option.

Things that catch my eye instantly are features, such as - how many ropes, pikes, poles and hooks do you additionaly requite to set the fucker up? Is there anything blocking the entrance? What does it feel like in case you have to spend all day inside, waiting for the weather to stop stressing? Does it weight around 600 grams? Is it seam-sealed? Does it blend well with the nature? How much of a nightmare condensations is?, etc ... So far this last bit is the only negative I can find regarding the One...

0 comments: